Monday, February 27, 2006

Son of Swap Meet

Ok. So here's this hot Italian bike. The price is cool, considering what it is. The purchase of another bike may not be cool, considering my wife's possible reaction. It's a swap meet and so far I've only occupied the receiving end of the transaction. A purchase of another bike would bring the total to five. This is clearly obsessive behavior. Fun obsessive behavior but still obsessive.

I walk away from the deal. Glowing in the realization that I have mastered my desires. Well, at least my desire for another bike. Clearly one who has mastered his desire has nothing to lose from doing a little innocent browsing. I'm not buying anything more. I limited my total purchases to $15. Look at more bikes, more frames, more components. A guys offers to sell me a pile of used mountainbike tires for 10 bucks. The tires weren't half bad and would have been a great deal if I was in need of them. I pass.

I spot a decent bike of some brand I don't recall. Horizontal dropouts mean this could be a great beater of a fixed gear project. Lugged construction. Alrighty. As I make my move, you guessed it. A college kid starts asking about it. A long conversation ensues. The bike is $30, $30! The conversation goes on entirely too long leaving me with a glimmer of hope that he'll pass. No such luck. Oh well, he needed it more than me. Being a college guy I figure he doesn't have a lot of money to spare. I feel ok about this but am questioning my crap timing.

This is getting frustrating. I need to go home. This sucks.

To be continued. Be well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

You had me going there Jim. I admire your ability to put things in perspective and stay level headed. I, too am the owner of four bikes, as of last November when I made my latest purchase. One bike I haven't ridden in years, I think I keep it for sentimental reasons. I don't have much room left for another bike. So I will either have to buy a bigger house or get rid of one of my current bikes before I can buy another. Buying a new house is out of the question.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home