Monday, February 20, 2006

February...insanity

A former supervisor, not a midwesterner, but a southerner, once told me that he didn't listen to any complaints in February. He claims we all go insane during that time and tend to rant and rave about everything. I wish it wasn't so, but I do tend to think he made a good point. Someone else once told me that the native americans around here used to refer to February as the "season of bones and death". I don't know if this is true but it seems to sum up how a lot of us feel this time of year.

Wassa point? Point is I was thinking about this and have been careful to take care of myself this year, especially in February. I've been coming home from work on time, I used to be a fairly extreme workaholic so this is a change, and it as helped my outlook. The days are getting longer. It good to be able to ride home in the light and to appreciate the things around me on the ride home. Today was the first day in a some time that I've taken the long way home. Winter is a dying old man, still capable of considerable fury, but dying nonetheless. I believe I can see the end of the tunnel on this winter. I don't expect to reach the end of the tunnel soon, but at least I can see it.

Be well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

I've been taking care of myself more this winter too. I picked that up from my wife, the social worker. She is very aware of her mental state all the time and takes time to take care of herself. In her line of work she can't help her patients (hospice care) if she doesn't take the time to take care of herself. I've learned I don't get the winter blues when I stay active outdoors all winter long. Whether it's biking or skiing or just going for a walk, just being outside and breathing some crisp, fresh air cleans out all the cobwebs. Just another benefit of commuting by bicycle.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Agreed. I pretty much used to work long hours, stay inside and get depressed during the winter. The biking has changed all that for the better.

I'm still looking forward to Spring.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home