Monday, February 13, 2006

So far... and what about those handlebars

So far, the winter commuting hasn't really been too bad. The snow has been light in the past month or so. If I'm having problems on the road, chances are pretty good the cars are struggling too. The cold is not generally an issue. If it gets crazy cold, -10 degrees F, things change, but nothing a facemask won't handle. Most typically, not being too warm has been more of an issue. Riding the Pig means I should be in reasonable shape come Spring. I am looking forward to getting back on a bike a little less heavy.

The touring handlebars are working out well. Plenty of hand positions and an excellent grip to dig in for climbing. They've worked out better than I imagined. I'm not thrilled with the looks but that's likely a matter of getting used to them. Not much in the way of an aerodynamic tuck position available, but neither does my body. The gut has slowly reappereed this winter but I feel iI'm in good shape. Better than ever, at least the past 10 years, for this time of year.

I'm continuing to build up the Surly X Check SingleSpeed. I'm amazed at the amount of money I've been able to throw at this project. Have gearing set now at 40x16 for about a 66" gear. I started out at something like 76", which seemed to be fated to blow out a knee. The 66" feels like a good compromise. I do have a substantial climb on many of my rides. We'll see. I am impressed with the v-brakes I installed (Avids). Maybe it's an indication of the dinosaurs I'm used to riding, but these brakes are way powerful.

Enough for now. Hope your rides are going well. Maybe I'll see you out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home