Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Slippin' and Slidin'

Haven't made an entry in a while. No matter, this blog continues to serve its purpose in keeping me dedicated and motivated to bike through out winter. I haven't missed a day and it's been cold, with temps hanging around 0 degrees F. Plenty of snow too. I get a little more comfortable with it every day and I always look forward to my ride home when I can take my time and detours. The back streets are so quiet this time of year. Regardless, I don't see myself hanging it up anytime soon. By the time Spring rolls around, I'll be closing in on one year of bicycle commuting.

In the meantime, I've been busying myself assembling the Surly Cross Check. I've decided to go the singlespeed route with this bike. Between eBay and my favorite used bike shop I've been able to keep the cost reasonable. No big hurry as I don't plan on putting it on the street until Spring. I have two other bikes to do maintenance on this winter. I'm hoping to be pretty self-sufficient on this front. Neither of my bikes have likely ever had much maintenance beyond air in the tires, so it should be fun. Come to think of it, I promised my wife I'd tune up her bike also. I best get going on this. I enjoy the wrenching as much as riding.

Enough for now. If there's anyone out there, let me encourage you to give the winter riding a try. It's better than you can imagine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home