Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Time to reflect on Armageddon

I was home with the flu on Monday and spent the day on the couch. Had way too much free time to look into gasoline/enrgy blogs. There's a lot of gloom, doom, and prepare for Armageddon. Perhaps gloom, doom, and Armageddon are what the future has in store. I don't know that choosing to reduce my car use will have any huge effect. I don't know that we're headed for an energy crisis end of civilization as we know it. Fact is, nobody does and please feel free to argue.

I'll tell you what I'm certain of. My car pumps out some fumes, that in the proper concentration, will kill you pretty quickly. God only knows what a sub-lethal dose does over time. Bottom line is that there doesn't seem to be any argument that the stuff coming out the tailpipe is generally unhealthy. I'm sure of one thing. The gas I don't burn is that much less of this stuff. And that's a good thing. Enough to save the world. Likely not, in fact definitely not, but it's in line with my values and it's the best I can do for the moment.

Another thing I'm certain of. I used to drive one-block to the store for cigarettes. Now I ride my bike to get cigarettes. Fine, I know, it's so incongruent. Ride a bike, cut back on gasoline, smoke cigs. This doesn't seem to go together. You know what? It's true. Anyway, the time I spend riding my bike, or walking to the store is time I don't have to smoke. We probably all agree that cutting back on cigs and increasing exercise is a good thing, eh? It's the best I can do for the moment.

One more thing. The days I ride to work, or the store, or wherever. I'm leaving one more open space on the road, cut back on the noise my car adds, and leaving another free parking space. Good stuff. Probably. It's the best I can do at the moment.

I know I'm not saving the world with the way I live. It's the best I can do at the moment. And it's good enough. And I know that I shouldn't be starting sentences with "and".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home