Friday, February 17, 2006

Little chilly

It is no doubt cold this morning. Minus 5 degrees F with a wind chill of minus 32. Facemask was a must this morning. About the only trouble I had were my hands. Twenty year old chopper mitts with worn out wool liners weren't quite up to the task. Definitely need to upgrade. Other than that, no trouble.

Took on the most badass hill on my way to work this morning. Given the temp, I was highly motivated. It was a grind, but nothing horrible. I think that my body's energy was diverted to full time furnace duty, so I wasn't even breathing hard. So far, the 67" gearing seems like a go.

Enough. Be well. Ride on, my friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Jim, I used to live and commute in St. Paul. I lived near St. Clair and Lexington Ave and bicycle commuted out to White Bear Ave and Rt 36 in Maplewood. I think some people, even across the river in Minneapolis, don't realize St. Paul has hills, and badass hills at that. I used to love doing some urban rides in St. Paul and could always do a route with some challenging hills. Sounds like the gearing is working for you. My fixie is geared with a 65 inch gear and that gets me up all but the steepest hills here in Duluth, MN.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

You were real close to where I live. I'm in the Raldolph and Victoria area, down in the flats. It's a fair rise up to Crocus Hill. It's only badass if I take the short route and do the climb quickly. Sort of a grind if I go the long way. For whatever strange reason I'm not much of a hill climber until I've been riding, and warming up, for 45 minutes or more.

There's one over on Cathedral Hill you're probably familiar with. Fairly nasty.

I'm not too familiar with Duluth, but from what I've seen you've got some impressive climbs.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home