Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Surly

I finally got around to posting a picture of the Surly I've built up this winter. Not exactly a great oicture but it'll do for now. Huge thanks to the boys at Express Bike Shop in Saint Paul. Many of the items were picked up used, in perfectly good condition, and ready for a new life. An absolute fraction of what they would cost new. Big ticket , heavy wear items , like wheels are new and so I paid a bit more for them. If I'd been more patient, I'd likely found a good used set. Of course, I know all this after I'm done with the build.



There are really no top end, fancy, expensive parts on the bike. Rode it to work today. COLD...must find facemask. After a winter on fat, low-pressure tires it seemed to float pretty nice. It was the first real trial of the 67" gearing and seemed to work out ok. So far, I'd say it's a decent compromise. Don't die going up hills and moves along well on the flats. It does force me to keep my cadence up. The frame, so far, and that's not so far yet, seems nice. The ride and handling are pretty much what I was looking for. Of course, everyone's happy when they first try out a new purchase. I'll come back with an actual opinion once I've logged some miles. Spring is eventually coming and I'm sure to be doing a bit more distance. As long as I'm on this disconnected stream of consciousness, I'll say I love the direct pull brakes. Mega power, mega controllable...as long as I remember which bike I'm on.

Enough. Looks like the coming few days could be around 0 degrees F, so welcome back to winter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Frostbike said...

Nice looking ride.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

When I started riding my Cross Check last fall my mileage went way up. For the first time since I started bicycle commuting instead of going straight home after work I started taking the long way. That's how much I enjoy my Surly. Give it a chance, hopefully yours will work for you. It's not the stiffest frame, or the lightest, but for me it just feels right.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for the comments guys. My prediction is that I'll end up liking the ride of the Surly. The drive train is nice...like butta. I think it takes a while to get used to any frame. They're all just a little different.

I'm not sure where Surly's got the reputqation as being heavy. Even with fenders it seems nice and light to me. I guess it all depends on what you're used to.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home