Thursday, February 23, 2006

Another day in February

Figured out a pretty smart thing at work today...actually I think it's a lesson that's been sinking in for the past year or so. Take care of yourself cause no one else is going to do it for you. I was starting to stress out about an upcoming deadline. Once I figured out my superior on the project was going on vacation next week, it all seemed so clear. I don't need to pull any one else's weight. Enough. Most of you are probably intelligent folks who figured this out a long time ago. It takes Mr. Protestant Work Ethic a little longer to catch on. I know this is degenerating into a rant, but really, I'm not bitter. I'm just thinking more clearly now.

Onto more important things, like the rest of my life. The commuting is going well. I wouldn't dream of driving to work anymore. I actually am enjoying the winter, a first for me. I'm continuing to get used to the Surly. I'm beginning to gain some confidence in the handling at higher speeds and I'm loving it! I have been pondering why I chose to be such a puss (please excuse the non-PC language) and chose to go with a single speed vs. a fixed gear. There's no coasting with a fixed gear. You know what ? I'm not entirely opposed to coasting. I'm all about enjoying my ride. I want to be in good condition but prefer to have the option to be a slacker. It's not the bike, it's all about the ride. The other day my pant leg got caught in the sprocket. No trouble, I just stopped peddling, did a quick back crank and presto, pant out of sprocket! Had I been on a fixed gear the results could have been a bit more traumatic.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for you fixies out there. I just don't know that I'm ready for the discipline. I do make a daily pilgrimage to the fixed gear gallery, http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/ . Love the clean lines of the single gear. We'll see. I've got an 80's Cannondale in the garage that seems like a good candidate. Hmmm....

I was talking with my wife this past weekend. It sounds like we'll become a one car family once our second car dies. I feel good about this. It's not much, but I do feel like I'm doing something right by powering my own vehicle. You know that teensy bit less of crud you didn't inhale today? That was my doing. I don't take it too seriously, but the ride does connect with my politics. I'm not going to save the world, but I won't let that stop me from doing the little bit I can.

So. Sort of a stream-of-consciousness rant today. Don't get me wrong. I know that I'm one fortunate person. I make enough money, have a wife that I love, and the time to enjoy life. I am truly privileged.

Enough. Be well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

YOU GO JIM!!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home