Monday, April 10, 2006

Total Wuss or Athlete in Training?

Great weeknd for biking. After a typical Minnesota endless grey skies winter it arives. All of a sudden I'm out riding with a windbreaker and thinking that may be more than is really needed.

Saturday did my typical 1.5 hour reasonably fast ride. Routes that I know well. I know every little hill. Ride a route enough times and you start to get pretty efficient at your approach to the ride. Great ride, great weather and time left over to put a little energy into the kitchen remodel, you know, the one I've been working on all winter with no end in sight. It is the price you pay for trying to do it on the cheap. Worth it and we've made enough progress that I'm not hearing much complaining from my better half. Believe me, she is the better of the two.

Sunday. Chores done with the day pretty much free. Took a nice drive over around the Stillwater area, had some breakfast, farted around and relaxed. Home before noon with plenty o' time for a good ride. The wind still had a bit of a bite and there was no way this was going to be a husband-wife ride. That's cool. We don't expect to be interested in sharing all our interests. Ok. I'll come across like a sexist pig, but here goes. My wife enjoys going to the fragrence/soap/whatever else they have in those places. Me, I go into an immediate mental fog anytime we get close. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice bar of sage scented soap as much as any other manly man. It's just that that's where it stops for me. Buy the soap, I'm done. Lemme see, what was I talking about. Ok. yeah, so we don't feel obligated to share all our interests. And, I'm sure Lynn, let me rephrase that, I'm postive that Lynn goes into that same aforementioned mental fog when entering my favorite LBS. So where was I going with this. So I take off on my ride, a beautiful Sunday if there ever was one. Through downtown StP to the State Bike Trail, the name escapes me, the one thqat heads over to north of Stillwater. I hit the trailhead at 7th and Arcade and go just a little too far before I hear the hiss of a flattening rear tire. Shit.

No prepared. No patches. No tools. No luck

The one thing I did remember was my cell phone. Walked for about 1/2 hour to the trail head. Head on down the road to the closest convenience mart. The cashier looked at me like I was stoned when I asked if they carried tube repair. I wish. Buy a large Pepsi. Pull out the cell, the one thing I did remember, and call the better half. She drives down to me me and disabled bike. She comes right away, supporting my claim that she is indeed the better half.

You know what? I'm tired and going to bed. I'll continue later.

Ride on, broomstick cowpokes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home