Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Another day, another new project

A nothing too special kind of day. another commute. Took the long way home now that we've got a bit more daylight. I've got a big project at work that needs finishing and soon. Tying up loose ends seems to occupy a bit too much time.

Once this project is done, I do intend to get started on yet another bike project. I'm going to be building up a new set of wheels. Picked up a decent pair of 3-hole Ambrosio rims on eBay. Nice double-eyelet rims. I haven't had a chance to evaluate for round and flat. That will be the true test of whether they are any good. I had picked up a set of three Campy hubs for $11 earlier and am looking to put them into service. Between the Campy and the Ambrosio it should be the total Italian package.

Plan on doing the single speed thing to the 8-speed rear hub. I will need to fabricate some spacers for the freehub unless I can find some used for cheap. Otherwise, I'm looking at spending about $30 on spacers alone. After that, I still am in need of a lockring and sprocket. So it all adds up.

I had read through Sheldon Brown's article on wheelbuiliding but remained a bit confused. Ran into an ebook, http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php , that was crystal clear on this topic. They also included plans for building your own truing stand and dish gauge. I had my doubts about it, but the home-made tools look like they'll actually work. The author's jigs are easily built with common woodworking tools. In the end I'll find out just how easily, or uneasily, all this goes when I get some spare time.

Enough. Be well. Enjoy your ride!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home